Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sun Goes Down in Summer Poem


Fighting for Summer

 

The blazing sharp heat that I once loved soakin’ in

Now makes me miserable and hot.

The sweet warm night air that filtered my skin of any insecurities

            Now lulls me to sleep at night.

That feelin’ of being young excited my veins, banishing any fear

            Now realization slowly starts to condense my blood. I’m getting old.

 

Days immersed with wild freedom exploded adventure everywhere I went

            Now they’re chained down with rules and limitations.

Time meant very little, blue skies reflected those happy summer days

            Now there is no time. Azure skies turn radiant amber too quickly.

Black velvet skies showered with glitter relinquished my soul into the open

            Now it locks me in a prison, homework needing to be finished before I crash

 

A handful of friends were all I needed to make my summer perfect

            Now I understand how much I missed my other friends.

Online classes allowed me to feel responsible and smart

            Now I understand there is still much for me to learn.

Sophomores fill the hallways, being as noisy and annoying as possible

            Now I understand how the Juniors and Seniors felt last year.

 

Cheerleaders must be role-models. No mistakes can be made, you won’t be forgiven.

            The whole team is depending on me, I can’t get sick or get hurt.

Honor students must keep up their grades. Homework every single night AND it’s hard.

            After the first few days, failing the class is a fear established in my mind.

The pressure is slowly killing me, starting with driving me crazy.

            Emotional breakdowns will probably become a common thing.

 

I miss being reckless and apathetic towards everyone else’s opinion.

If I have to fight another tough year to win that confidence back,

            Then I will. It’s totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment